The Best of Times and the Worst of Times

 I know it has been a while since I have been able to write for you, but it has been a crazy few months. 

First let's focus on some fun things. You went on your first big trip to Hilton Head Island to see Grandpa Hollinger. It was an experience to say the least. We decided to drive down there since Covid is still very prevalent and we didn't want to take the chance flying. After talking to your Grandpa we decided not to drive through the night and instead woke up early, 3 a.m. and drive from there. That was our first mistake on this trip. I will give you credit, you were a champ most of the way there. I cannot imagine how it must have felt being stuck in that car seat for that long. Thankfully, Nana came with us to help keep you entertained. With some new toys and some Octonauts you were wonderful, until about fifteen hours in. To be fair we planned on getting there well before your bedtime, but as with any road trip there are unexpected delays. Stopping for food was a little chaotic. You had your first taste of fast food and didn't seem to love or hate it. We started with a McDonald's breakfast of sausage and pancakes for you. Then for lunch we stopped at Burger King and got you some chicken nuggets. Once we were past the five o'clock hour is when you started getting fussy. And once we past your bedtime you couldn't take anymore. If we weren't within an hour of Hilton Head I would have found a hotel for us to stay in. When you are mad you are really mad and there is little we can to do console you. Luckily, once we made it to our villa and got you out of the car you were a pretty happy kid. 








The vacation overall was wonderful. We got to play in the pool, you went in the ocean for the first time, and we spent time with Grandpa and Grandma Hollinger. This year we decided to take it easy and just hang around the resort for the most part. We did drive to Harbor Town, but it was way to crowded. Hopefully the next time we go we can take you to Savannah and walk around the city. 

On a sadder note, and probably the reason it took me so long to write this, your Great-Grandma Anderson went to be with the Lord. She passed away on April 19th, 2021. It has been hard for me. I know she was not in the best health, but I was hopeful she would get a chance to know you a little more before she left us. Because of Covid we have not been visiting many people. The last time she saw you was in January, and at that point her mind was slipping a little bit. I was lucky and got to go be with her a few days before she passed. I held her hand and prayed for her. I got to see your Grandpa Anderson too and be with him for a bit. 



To say your Great-Grandma was a strong willed woman may be an understatement. Although she can be soft at times she clearly ruled her house. She was the spiritual lead in my life, making sure my cousins, your Aunt Krissy, and I attended mass with her as much as possible. And although I never ended up joining the Catholic faith it did set a strong foundation of faith for me. She would always God bless before she hung up the phone. She made our family stronger through her faith and through her commitment to have the cousins together as much as possible. Every Sunday after church we would go back to her house and have pancakes and play Uno. She wanted to make sure we we close as kids. She was also the saver of the family. I remember her washing Styrofoam plates and plastic silverware so we could reuse them. She would cut greeting cards and use them as Christmas present tags. She loved her family and always tried to do what was best for them. I will miss her terribly. 

I am going to try to write some other blogs like this for you about other family members you will never get to meet. There are too many, but I know they are all looking down on you and smiling. 

The last thing I want to add to this blog is a happy one. You are going to be a big brother! In February your dad and I found out we were pregnant. It was a surprise to say the least. It took so long for us to conceive you we didn't even know if it was possible to have another baby. But here I am, nineteen weeks along with your little brother. This pregnancy has been much harder on me than yours. I was more nauseated, more tired, and more sore. You have been so sweet through it. There have been many times I had to just lie down on the floor and you would bring over a toy or a book to play with me. You have been the sweetest little boy. Your little brother is due November 1st and I can't wait to see what kind of big brother you will be.  



Comments

Popular Posts