Summer of Joy and Sadness

This summer has been eventful to say the least. It started off with lot of fun. We took you to the Detroit Zoo for the first time in June. It was a little stressful for Mama and Dada. We haven't really taken you anywhere because of Covid. But, we decided we need to get you out more to see the work. You get a little stir crazy when you are in the house for too long. I will say you seemed to enjoy it, but hated being in your stroller for too long. Already you are showing your independent streak.


In July we took a trip to Frankenmuth for Mama and Dada's wedding anniversary. We went to another zoo there and walked around the River District Plaza. We discovered taking you away for a night is a lot of work and may not be the best idea in the future. We also decided to announce to the world, or at least all of our social media friends, that you were going to be a big brother. 



On July 31 we went to the Fox's house to celebrate our family with a big gathering. I am sure you are aware at this point that we have a huge family and at this point many of them had not met you year. You were the hit of the party, but it took everything to keep you from running right into Lake Huron. 




Then on August 7th the first of two tragedies struck. Your other puppy dog, my Rosie girl, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. She had been on medication for her heart for almost a year at that point. She seemed to be okay and then all of a sudden she wasn't. Your dad and I decided to say goodbye to her instead of letting her suffer. She was my constant companion for twelve years. It was the hardest goodbye to a dog I have ever had to say. There are still nights I think I hear her snoring next to me. 



Then, on August 31 your Great Grandma Hayes also passed away. She had been sick for a few months with her memory slipping. One thing she never forgot was to ask about you. Every time I went to see her she always asked me to bring you up next time to see her. I will always remember her as an opinionated woman. She was never afraid to speak her mind. She always loved to decorate and celebrate holidays. Even smaller ones like Labor Day she would get out red, white, and blue plates and wreaths to celebrate. 


On a happier note also in August your Grandpa Don also came to see you. He was so excited to see how big you got and how much more you can do. He was amazing at how well you are comprehending things and think it is hilarious that you ignore Dada and I when we tell you know. He has claimed you have a lot of your dad's personality, and I think he may be right. It is not a bad thing, but when you are told to do something you don't want to do you just ignore us. Your dad has been know to do something similar. We spent a lot of time with grandpa while he was here at the cottage he rented which was a wonderful. 



In about two more weeks you are going to be a big brother. I feel like our whole world will be turned upside down in the most wonderful way. We have a good routine with you down and that is about to all change. I have to admit there is a part of me that is scared about how things will change. Already you have begun to notice things are not the same. You run up to me and ask me to pick you "Up, up, up" and I have to tell you no because my back is sore and I just don't have the energy. I see the sadness in your eyes and it breaks my heart. But then I think about the future, about you and your brother playing in the backyard and laughing with each other. I can see all of us snuggling in bed for movie night and all falling asleep together. I can imagine you two playing soccer with your dad. I realize the little bit of sadness you may feel now will be gone once you start loving your little brother. 

I do have to say it was much easier to update this blog while I was pregnant with you. Now, I spend my days running trying to keep up with you and my nights sleeping because your brother has zapped all my remaining energy. So, if you don't see as many updates it is not because nothing important happened, it just means I wanted to spend my time with you making the memories more so than recording them. 




  



Comments

Popular Posts